The Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan-EK KADAM SWACHTA KI AUR
By: Himadrish Suwan
Mahatma Gandhi had rightly said, “Sanitation is more important than Independence”. He was aware of the pathetic situation of Indian rural people at that time and he dreamt of a clean India where he emphasised on cleanliness and sanitation as an integral part of living. Unfortunately, we have completed 68 years of independence and we have only about 30% of the rural households with access to toilets. The People’s Movement the “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” recently launched under the passionate leadership of Narendra Modi is a milestone and a step which will make India -”Clean India” which is nothing but a need of hour. Cleanliness is no doubt connected to the tourism and global interests of the country as a whole. India is already a known hub in the world tourist map. It is high time now that India’s top 50 tourist destinations display high class levels of hygiene and cleanliness so as to change the nation’s global perception.
There is no doubt about the fact that change begins at home. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan should be a combined effort of both the Government as well as the people. Being an active member out of the 1.25 crore Indians I have some out-of-the-box ideas and suggestions which can contribute to the success of People’s Movement the “Swachh Bharat”.
The Ideas & Suggestions for the People’s Movement the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan are:-
- Due to High Population India faces High Unemployment. I want you to take a step for the Unemployed Poor People to join this People’s Movement the “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” and give them jobs of cleaning places and in return give them decent Wages. In this way India will become Clean and also the Unemployed will get jobs ,As a result the per capita income of India will also increase .Thus it will also reduce Poverty, a challenge India still faces.
- Having started this people’s project by yourself on October 2nd one would have expected a similar response from the CMs of different States. Sadly that was not forthcoming. I wonder if these people could be energized by providing an ANNUAL INTERSTATE COMPETITION’s of becoming the ‘CLEAN STATE’ of the Year. Similar COMPETITION’s can be extended to village PANCHAYATS as well. The winner will get a Trophy and a substantial cash award to their public fund! Getting, celebrities and entrepreneurs with philanthropy in them, may make it a major event of the country and we can gain the title of “Sone Ki Chidiya”
- I strongly believe in the Mantra of “Soch Badlo , Desh Badlo”. But it is very difficult to change people’s thinking in one go instead we should take small- small steps to make people habitual. One such step is that the Law should be amended or a new set of rules enforceable by law must be in place. There should be separate fines for littering, urinating and spitting in public. The fines should be kept low ranging from Rs.100 to Rs.200 only. People from the underprivileged section should be given job where Men on the streets can be deployed to catch the defaulters. Anyone found littering or urinating in public should be fined and given a receipt and the money should be deposited in a separate account in the name of “Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan”. The deputy commissioners(DC) of the zones should carry out regular field inspections in different areas to monitor the impact of the drive so that immediate action can be taken if any irregularity is noticed.
- For cleanliness drive firstly we need to put Dustbins on each and every street of If possible at every 100-150 metre sothat people know where they have to throw the waste. Less waste or No waste on road can only make our India clean. At high sensitive areas like India Gate people usually go for picnics and have home cooked lunch there in order the place get dirty with paper plates, glasses etc. It’s okay if one has gone for a picnic but at such sensitive areas a separate control room should be made where few men can monitor through CCTV cameras the movements and if for Example : A family reaches for a picnic at India Gate and have there lunch there & Instead of throwing the garbage in dustbin they litter it elsewhere. So, being India Gate a site of attraction the men can catch the people who have litter elsewhere and fine them on the spot. Hence, Such Initiative’s can add to a great success of “Swachh Bharat”.
- No doubt, India has progressed to a level to compete other developed nations in industrialization, agriculture, science, technology, and modernization. On the contrary majority of them are poverty striken, illiterates, ill health and powerless. Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan being a People’s Movement we need support of all 1.25 cr. Indians to achieve the dream of Clean India. In India Rural belt people are not aware of the fact that what is “Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan” so how can they contribute there part in this people’s movement. It is suggested that a Monthly Awareness Programme(MAP) spreading awareness about the need for “Swachh Bharat & Its advantages” must be carried out at Panchayat level , school level This can add to success of this mission to a large. For spreading awareness no cost should be incurred but STUDENT’s from different COLLEGES can be RECRUITED free of cost being a People’s movement and they should educate in their Slums in their cities, zones & district’s. This initiative can add to a huge success and we can make India-“Swachh”, a dream of Mahatma Gandhi.
A “collective action” is been taken by many social organizations to clean up and green up the locality and subsequently India – a way forward. Unfortunately, we have completed 68 years of independence and we have only about 30% of the rural households with access to toilets. Its a need of hour to change the statistics & make india clean.